Updated Information: March 22, 2020
Effective Monday, March 23: Our business hours will change beginning tomorrow. Our office will be open from 8 AM to 1 PM. Administration, Counselors and a skeleton secretarial crew will keep the office open. Those teachers wanting to work inside the building, may continue working in your classroom.
Yes, we are going to prepare curriculum for another two weeks past the March 27 dismissal. That means one week (March 30 – April 3) We provide curriculum. The following week is spring break. (April 6 – 10.). Take a breather. Currently, April 13 school resumes.
We are going to be busy this week removing all NG’s for third quarter. Because students don’t have the ability to make up missed time; we are going to waive all of it.
The following information was Sent March 18, 2020: Dear Parents/Guardians and Students,
We know there is a high volume of information coming to you from the District, the school, our staff, and our teachers. We also acknowledge that due to the fluidity of the situation, information is changing day by day, minute by minute. Thank you for your patience as we work towards getting your students’ classes accessible from home. Over the past few days you should have had contact from your students’ teachers. If you have not heard from them, do not hesitate to reach out to them. Below is some information that you might find helpful as we navigate through the next weeks.
In order to log in to Canvas students must go to: jsd.instructure.com
- username: school email address
- password: student ID+jsd
Once logged in students should see their courses, if all their courses do NOT show up, click on the “Courses” icon on the left side of the screen > scroll down and click on “All Courses” > all courses should appear. Star the courses you want viewable on your “Dashboard”. If it is your first time using Canvas, make sure to link your account to your Google Docs, enabling you to access assignments and to turn in assignments by going here https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10337-4152719758
In order to log in to Google Classroom students must go to https://classroom.google.com/
- If it is a student’s first time logging in, they will need a code from their teacher.
If a teacher is using a class website, please check with that teacher for the appropriate website address then bookmark it.
If your student does not have means to connect to the Internet from home, we are here to help. Please come in to Herriman High School’s Main Office to check out a Chromebook. If you do not have WiFi at your home there are some options available:
- JSD is extending their WiFI to each school’s parking lot.
- Internet providers are making WiFi available free for everyone. Click the link for more details https://corporate.comcast.com/covid-19
If your student has been told to come to school to pick up supplies or drop off assignments, tables have been set up in the commons for pick up and drop off. When coming to school, please be mindful that state officials are encouraging everyone to take serious precautions, especially staying six-feet away and avoid being in groups.
Parents need to actively participate in providing support, assistance, and accountability measures for their students. Students need to make learning a priority, concentrate on understanding and meeting expectations, communicate with their teachers, and advocate for themselves. Students need to understand that the instruction, assignments, quizzes, and tests that may be given during this dismissal window may impact the grade they receive for 3rd Quarter.
Parents and students, please access your Skyward account and update your preferred contact email and phone number. It is our hope that the following information will provide answers to your questions and will address any concerns that you may have. We encourage you to access your Skyward listed email on a regular basis for updates. Please refer to our school website and social media outlets for updates throughout the dismissal. Most importantly, if you have a question or concern, please feel free to reach out to our teachers, office staff, and administration so we may serve in meeting your needs.
Herriman High School Administration
Online Instruction will resume on Wednesday, March 18th, 2020. Below are the action items of the current state of the programs, services and instructions that are being planned at HHS:
- Please use the Main Entrance when making any brief visits to the school – (for security, all other doors will be locked)
- Office Hours 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Curriculum and Classwork:
- Chromebook Checkout
- Available from 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Tuesday, March 17th – Friday, March 20th in Media Center/Main Office
Media Center Access
- The Media Center will be open the week of March 16, 2020 from 8:00AM to 1:00PM.
- Media Center hours are for individual students who would not be able to access the necessary resources otherwise. Students may use computers for accessing research materials, printing, copying and checking out books.
- Students are to work individually. Groups will not be permitted.
- Custodial Staff
- Our custodial staff will be working on a comprehensive sanitization process of the entire building during the dismissal.
- Office Functions
- The following office services will be available online during the dismissal: transcript requests, payments, and other Skyward functions. We ask that patrons postpone these functions where possible or conduct them online.
- Attendance School
- As long as your student shows progression in their online learning over the next two weeks, the administration will be clearing NG’s for the 3rd Quarter.
- Administrative approval will be needed to make-up attendance for previously missed classes.
- Late Work
- Teachers will be reaching out to students in a variety of ways to convey instructions for late and/or missing classwork. Teachers have been instructed to provide extensions and accommodations when it comes to late work.
- Special Education Services – IEP
- The Special Education department will be working with all teachers in following the student IEP’s to ensure students are receiving their accommodations and services.
- IEP Meetings will not be held in person; rather teachers have been asked to hold these meetings via phone.
- IEP Testing will be postponed. Parents will be receiving a State-approved form to extend the testing window, as necessary.
- Concurrent Enrollment (CE) courses can be accessed through Canvas. Students are encouraged to email their current teachers with any questions.
- Credit Recovery
- Students can continue to make arrangements for credit recovery packets through our coordinator via email or phone.
- Daycare and Preschool
- The Herriman daycare and pre-school will be closed to the public.
Athletics and Extracurricular Activities:
- All after-school and extracurricular activities (athletic events, practices, games, rehearsals, concerts, try-outs, clinics, parent meetings, banquets, fundraisers, etc.) are postponed or cancelled. Guidelines and plans for rescheduling events will be shared soon.
- All playing fields, practice fields, gymnasiums, and weight rooms will be closed to team activities and group gatherings.
- Rescheduling of all events beyond this two-week window will be done in conjunction with UHSAA and other administrative directives.
- We encourage student-athletes and performers to practice on their own the individual skills and techniques their coaches and directors give them during this time.
Haga clic en el enlace para la traducción al español de este Skylert: Spanish Skylert.docx